The Castle of Strozzavolpe


In English

Poggibonsi


In italiano

Castello di Strozzavolpe

Poggibonsi

History

Accommodation

Architecture

Val d'Elsa

Strozzavolpe castle

Probably this castle is the same as that with the toponym of Scoriavolpe, noted in a document of 1154 at Badia a Isola. We have no news for the entire Middle Ages and we are unable to present a schematic history. In the second half of the 13 C, however, it belonged to the Alberti family and through marriage ties it passed into the Salimbeni heritage. In 1313 Arrigo VII occupied it and used it as a base to devastate the Sienese countryside up to the threshold of Porta Camollia. In 1318 the Salimbeni, in particular Benuccio di Messer Benuccio and his nephews, owned "cassarum et fortilitiam" of Strozzavolpe; the structure was then sold at the end of the 14 C to the Adimari of Florence (the coat of arms of this family is found carved on a fireplace in rooms still used as a farm in 1960).

In 1479, at the time of the capture of Poggibonsi by the Duke of Calabria, Strozzavolpe also underwent the siege but did not fall. A still extant fresco in the Council Hall of the town hall of Siena (by Giovanni di Cristoforo Ghini and Francesco d'Andrea in 1480), in fact, shows the castle with the banner still hoisted (a white flag with red cross).

The castle has been the subject of an interesting study by the local historian Arcangeli. This author, relying on iconographic comparisons of old prints and through personal verification, observes how the original complex consisted of two towers, scarp walls with ditches around, a drawbridge and "a central male". The two towers were placed one on the bridge and the other on the opposite end. Inside, besides the male, there were small buildings along the walls (which still existed), the basements and the entrance to a gallery.

In the 19 C, the owner, Alessandro Bizzarri, had an integral restoration of the male, in German romantic style, carried out by the engineer Jacopo Rigacci. Thus a large body disproportionate to the walls was born and it was therefore necessary to raise the access tower, whose old battlements are incorporated in the elevation, where they still stand out, while the new battlements were made of bricks and resting on spouts, the moat was also opened. Of the castle remains the original wall of irregular shape with masonry, at least in part original.

Poggibonsi

History

Accommodation

Architecture

Val d'Elsa

Poggibonsi ammonet InfoTech 2000 - 2020. All rights reserved.